Monday, July 8, 2013

"Well, it isn't the worst steak I've ever had.."

says my husband this evening after a horribly tragic grilling incident. Every 3-4 months a local farmer slaughters beef. Just a single one. When I get the message that beef will be available I call in my order using marginal German and then about a week later I pick it up, stock up my freezer, simmer some bone broth and enjoy my haul. This time I ordered a T-Bone. It was a splurge since they charge 28euro for 1kg (about 2.2lbs) but it's summer and we love to grill, so why not?

Well. Today was the day. We started defrosting it yesterday, he salted the steak so it would absorb it as it came to room temperature and he fired up the grill. One steak. Yes. Just one. It was a 19euro steak all it's own. I calculated it based on the per kg price and it's about 675grams - - 23oz. So he's got the grill prepped ready for this lovely 23oz steak, puts it on to sear at 500F+ and what do you know - the drip pan has residual oil in it. Shit. Shoot. We have a toddler and need to practice child friendly vocabulary now. So this oil basically catches everything on fire. Of course my husband is concerned about about the flames not shooting up and catching our house on fire so he rushes in to grab the baking soda and smother the flames...and the steak.

In an effort to fix this we decide to wash off the steak and hope all the baking soda is gone, re-season with some more montreal seasoning, and just bake it. At this point this is not going to be the worst steak we've ever had, but still. We were looking forward to a deliciously grilled medium steak. Mmmmm. I was even going to have him grill this lovely mango and give you a recipe for mango butter! Luckily my mango was ripe enough to just mash it with a fork so I'll still share the recipe with you. You're welcome. I also made a nice mango salad with hot honey bacon dressing. I can share that with you later. I even have a nice photo of it. Sorry for the crappy photo of this mango butter. I captured the salad beautifully and was out of creativity on how to make this look just as appealing.

Mango Butter

2T Grass-fed Butter
4T Mango Puree (Grill then mash or just mash a very ripe mango)
1/4t Garlic Powder
1t Fresh Parsley, chopped

Bring butter to room temperature for easy mixing. Mash mango and add to butter along with garlic powder and parsley. Serve with grilled steak, sweet potato fries, plantain pancakes...you get the idea.


No comments:

Post a Comment