Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Cabbage Rolls 2.0

Today I made cabbage rolls again. I made them for the first time over a month ago after having had them only once or twice before in my entire life. My friend Beth was kind enough to share her recipe with me and my first trial I was missing the cauliflower so I subbed in some shredded veggies and this time I changed it up a little more. The original recipe calls for sauteeing some cauliflower. Ain't nobody got time for that! Actually, I did, but I with one pot going for steaming the cabbage and another making my tomato sauce, I'd reached my pan limit for the day. I decided to go with my previous deviation and use a shredded zucchini and carrot in the mix again. I also added bacon. Of course. Why not? It's bacon. Mmmmm.

The beauty of cabbage rolls is that you truly can give it any flavor you like, season your tomato sauce in any way and stuff the leaves with endless combinations of meat, vegetables, and sauces. I've been missing out on this recipe staple for years!

Between dealing with my hungry, whiny toddler (Baby Grok angry! Rawr!) and trying to get it all in the oven for a reasonable dinner time I missed a few photos I meant to take, but it's ok. You don't need that much guidance with this one.

Ingredients:

Cabbage Rolls:
1 head cabbage, steamed 15-20min or until leaves are pliable
1 lb grass fed ground beef
1 zucchini, grated
1 carrot, grated
1/2 sweet onion, diced
6 bacon slices, chopped
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 egg
splash of tomato sauce (about 1/4 cup)
salt and pepper to taste

Tomato Sauce:

1.5 c tomato puree (just a plain tomato sauce/passata)
14 oz diced or stewed tomatoes, diced
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp Worcestershire - or not, up to you.
Juice of 1/4-1/2 lemon

Preheat oven to 350F.

Combine ingredients for tomato sauce and simmer in saucepan while you prepare the cabbage rolls.

While cabbage steams, mix together the remaining ingredients for the filling. Voila! Separate steamed cabbage leaves, spoon in filling and roll up beginning from the thick stem end tucking in sides as you go. That's it.
 
There are 2 ways to proceed from here. If you're using a casserole dish arrange cabbage leaves along the bottom in order to prevent scorching. Lately I've been using my french oven though and I have no problem spraying the inside with my olive oil mister and then covering the bottom of the dish with enough of the sauce for a light coating. Whatever you do, arrange the stuffed cabbage rolls in your dish, top with remaining sauce and bake for 45-55min. Enjoy!


Optional: top with sliced mushrooms before baking.

Perhaps one day I will actually put cauliflower in them or serve them over some riced cauliflower, but today was not that day.


No comments:

Post a Comment