Monday, June 24, 2013

Dieting for Two

The awesome thing about being able to share this paleo life with my dear husband is that it makes cooking a million times easier. The hardest thing about it is that sometimes I feel like I'm "dieting" for two. Since he gets up extra early for work and as much as he'd like to make himself a breakfast every day, the reality of it is he won't - especially on days where he has to get up at 430. Those are the days he'd be most likely to stop by the shoppette and grab one of those breakfast burritos full of "eggs", "sausage", "potatoes", and other "food" items.

To combat this I work really hard to make sure he has everything he needs for the full day of breakfast, snacks, and lunch. Luckily, lunch tends to be leftovers from the night before so that leaves a lot less to worry about. It's still hard to make dinner and realize I should pop some egg cups in the oven after making several other things all day. We recently (yesterday) found that a "green smoothie" holds really well in the refrigerator overnight so tomorrow is day two of an almond milk, banana, almond butter & spinach smoothie. We'll bring back egg cups later this week.

It makes it harder to put forth that same effort for myself, but it's important that I do. So for lunch if I don't have leftovers, baby Grok and I eat other things that the man of the house doesn't care for - like fish or shrimp or artichokes. I try to do things in advance like making a good batch of jerky and keeping assorted nuts and dried fruit on hand to whip up a little baggie of snacks for him to take. I'm also blessed that he'll eat things like celery (bleh) so that's an easy snack - but not stuff like hard boiled eggs(!!).

He's giving it an earnest try though and I don't want him to get bored with my cooking. I have so many little "recipes" that I am constantly recycling so I'm always looking for a way to shake things up.

Food wise nothing too exciting is going on here. No new recipes just some twists on old favorites. If I have a foodie breakthrough though, you'll be the first to know.

How do you keep your palate from getting bored? Do you get burned out from all of the prepping and planning?

No comments:

Post a Comment