Friday, June 21, 2013

Funny thing is

The funny thing is, I really went back and for on this blog idea thinking I'd have nothing interesting thing to say. Suddenly, I feel like there is so much I could talk about when it comes to paleo/primal and my life. There are so many positive aspects, challenges and just downright interesting information out there. The paleo "diet" is spreading like wildfire and friends are constantly popping up pinning recipes or sharing their paleo success. I even got my dad to adopt some paleo habits and he's feeling better and lost some weight which makes me happy. It makes me feel a little less crazy about spending the bulk of my time in my kitchen.

Speaking of my kitchen, I love cooking. So much. I hate cleaning it. Sometimes it's therapeutic scrubbing away if I'm slightly irritated and now it's sometimes even fun when Baby Grok "helps" me unload the dishwasher, handing me items and saying "thankyou" or putting all of the silverware into 1 - ONE - section of the silverware drawer.

Was I planning on sharing recipes? Eh. Did I make something worth sharing? Maybe. This one is easy because it's pretty simple. Sometimes I forget how easy it is to whip up dishes and add produce - especially veggies to my daily routine. I present to you, my "tortilla roja." Tortilla? What? No, it's not your typical flour tortilla, it's a Spanish (from Spain) style tortilla traditionally made with egg and potatoes which many people call a frittata or even just an omelet. However, my family - half of it - is Spanish, so in my book, it's a tortilla. I made my first tortilla when I was in college. I bought a bag of potatoes, some onions, a dozen eggs and got to work. I made two. They didn't look the best, but it was a start. I can't remember the last time I made a tortilla, but as I was getting hungry for breakfast the other day I decided it would be a great way kick start my day with veggies. It was delicious and I have many variations in mind - including one with sweet potatoes - and maybe chorizo.

Tortilla Roja

3eggs
1/2 Zucchini,diced
1/2 Onion diced
1 Tomato, diced
4 Mushrooms, sliced
1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
salt to taste
black pepper to taste
1/2 Tbsp Grass fed butter
Olive Oil

Over medium heat, melt butter in small pan (omelet sized) and sautee zuchini, onion and mushrooms until soft. Add tomatoes and sautee for another minute or 2, remove from heat. In mixing bowl, whisk eggs, add smoked paprika and sauteed vegetables. Add enough oil (or ghee, or whatever) to cover the bottom of the pan and heat to med-low/medium. Once oil is hot, add egg mixture and cover for 3-5 minutes. The trick to a tortilla - or frittata, whatever - is to make sure it cooks through. Swivel pan and use a spatula to make sure the egg mixture isn't sticking to the sides. If 5 minutes isn't enough, cover and let cook a bit longer.

Once the center of the tortilla looks like it's cooking through, it's time to get a plate ready. I use a dinner plate that's a bit larger than the pan. Cover pan with plate and as gracefully as possible, flip the pan so that the tortilla is now on the plate. Return pan to burner. If there is still plenty of oil remaining, holding the tortilla securely to the plate, return any oil to the pan and top off with fresh oil. Then, with as much finesse as possible, slide the tortilla back into the pan to cook the other side. 

Ok, not so red - also, difficult to make look interesting, but it was delicious. Trust me.




That's it! You can either flip it onto a plate which I think is easiest or finagle it to slide back out. I like to put the nicer looking side up so whatever it takes to get there is up to you. I topped mine with my favorite salsa - Muir Glen Garlic Cilantro and chowed down with Baby Grok.

Tortilla is meant to be a portable food. At least that's how I was raised. Eat it warm, or let it cool and slice it up for a picnic. There's no need to refrigerate it! There's also no need to top it. We always ate ours with mayo or ketchup, or plain - even in a sandwich.

What's your favorite picnic food?

No comments:

Post a Comment