Sunday, June 16, 2013

Baby Grok Loves Jerky

Today was Father's Day, so in order to celebrate how loving and amazing of a father my husband is we did. . .absolutely nothing. To be fair, he's away for work the next few days, but I have a little something up my sleeve to celebrate and I plan on sharing that with you.

This blog comes after months of debating whether to dive into the growing world of paleo bloggers. My friend has her own blog and says that yes, I should in fact start one myself *ahem*. In all honesty, I have a lot of paleo going on in my life and sometimes I just feel like sharing it but don't have the right person to share it at the moment. Considering that my husband gets tired of listening to me talk, my son is much to young to engage in big conversations at the ripe age of almost 22 months, and many friends live in time zones anywhere from six to twelve hours behind me, this is happening.

Today was an interesting day which prompted me to decide that I really did need to do this because I had to share a hilarious series of events starring my son who for now we'll call Baby Grok (cute, right?)

This morning, shortly after waking up I took off his diaper because we are embarking in naked potty learning. I like learning instead of training, whatever, it makes me happy. Moving on. It was a fairly uneventful day because we were going to do this whole naked potty method right! I picked up beef from my local farmer on Friday, marinated strips overnight and today was jerky making day! Hooray! Fast forward a good 5 hours - because I may have sliced my brisket too thick this time - and we are sampling jerky. Baby Grok LOVES this stuff. He keeps asking for more and more. After we've finished sharing a piece he disappears into the kitchen and I hear a drawer open, the oven door slightly open then close and he comes running back. This is what a see: a toddler wearing nothing but a bright blue oven mitt (potty learning, remember?) and he tells me, "Hot. Hot. More!" Which I take to understand that the oven is hot and he wants more jerky so I go grab a piece and before I break it up for him he runs off with it.

Back in our living room, naked baby has the jerky. He's trying to rip it with his teeth and gets a tiny bite off. He grunts and flexes his "muscles"; I tear off a few more bites for him which he happily eats, then runs off to do some push-ups. I'm not making any of this up. I swear. Must be that delicious grass fed beef. Not funny? Eh, guess you had to have been there. Sorry.

Will I post my own recipes? Perhaps. I tend to look up recipes for ideas in my head but maybe I'll stop doing that and just work on creating my own. I made two kinds of jerky since I like variety. With my brisket I went with smoky and my round - I think (sauerbraten/rolle here in Germany) I did a sweeter variation.

This is enough for one day and I'm afraid I'll run out of stuff to tell you anyway. And the potty learning? An overall successful day. Hopefully Baby Grok keeps up his progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment